I was busy preparing for a workshop on Saturday, but I'm back :) But how fun to be stamping the night away on World Card Making Day. Hope you had a chance to stamp your hearts out :) I will wait to show you what we did because I had promised to show you what we learned from the very talented Karen Barber at Fall Fest. This was her technique called Black Magic with a Twist. Stunning! The set we used for this card was Charming from the Holiday Mini. She designed this card as a Make and Take for us, so here is what I did (on her direction)
* Ovals were precut using the Big Shot and Ovals Original Die
* Stamp an image in Whisper White Craft (let dry or use heat tool to speed up the drying process) onto Basic Black cardstock. TIP: You may want to click on the card to enlarge the image so you could get a better look at the floral image. I couldn't get a closer image as it looked too fuzzy- sorry!
* With Watercolor pencils color over your image - using 2 shades of a color (with a definite contrast!), color lighter shade first, than highlight areas with the darker shade and build color on color. TIP: Be careful not to overshade with your darker color - it loses the POP without the color contrast!
* The 'twist' using your White Signo Gel pen add a bit of white contrast here and there and your image POPs even more - its so pretty and I can see I'll be using this technique more often
* Karen likes to create backgrounds using a smaller image and repeating them all over overlapping and close together. So the top portion on Melon Mambo was stamped with Melon Mambo ink using the circular 'damask' image repeatedly over the top.
* The bottom portion was kreated the same way repeating over and over and overlapping using the small floral 'damask' using Melon Mambo ink on Whisper White
* Hide the seam with a pretty 5/8" White Stain Ribbon
* Sentiment from Short and Sweet was inked in Basic Black and popped out with the Small Oval punch and matted with a black Large Oval.
* My focal images may appear shiny (they are, your eyes are not playing any tricks)- the large black oval and my flower focal image were each pounced in VersaMark and then heat embossed with Clear Embossing Powder. Oooooo, aaaahhhhhh!!
Isn't this card so pretty? I'm so happy to have learned this technique and I'm sure it will appear again on my cards! And I was lucky enough to get a Karen original when we swapped for each others card (thanks Natalie for giving yours up so I could give it to Karen - yours will be in the mail soon:) ). I was ecstatic (understatement!!) to know that she was looking to swap with me, she really liked my SWAP card here :)
She used the same Black Magic with Twist using the set from the Holiday Mini, Note to Self as well as the background was stamped with the new Medallion Background stamp. So pretty right!? Leave me a comment and let me know what you think of this Black Magic with a Twist - would you like to see more? (I hope so!) Any questions, as always, email me I'm just a click away!
Don't Miss Out on all the fabulous promotions on my right sidebar:
Deal of the Week - 3 great punches on sale now, this week only!! Check it out. Be sure to shop online with me as your Demonstrator for your 'preferred' price and 25% off!
Host a Workshop with Me - qualifying workshop and get any product from the Holiday Mini for $10 and/or get the My Digital Studio software for 50% off!
Join my Team - get the My Digital Studio as part of your Starter Kit along with stamps, ink, paper, ribbon, buttons, oh my! Alot of bang for your buck! Starting a hobby? Starting a business? Now is GREAT opportunity with this Starter Kit. Email me if you have any questions
Shop ALL product orders online with me.